Ever since I could hold a whisk, I have been cooking and baking with my father in the kitchen. Under his tutelage, I learned the basics of cooking and the joy in sharing delicious food with family and friends. Being the science nerds that we were, we also discussed the chemistry involved with cooking. Have you every wondered what exactly baking powder does? http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html. Pretty cool, huh?
For the past 2 weeks, I have been cooking and baking like I have a family of 7 to feed (or a small scale B&B). I don't know whether I have been cooking out of sheer boredom or win over my roommates and coworkers, but after mushroom and pea risotto, breaded eggplant, 3 pies, 2 quiches, one crisp, one loaf of bread, and several apple pancakes later, I still want to cook more! Cooking is such a fulfilling hobby!
After reading a little bit of Julie & Julia and hearing about the story from others, I am considering a culinary adventure of my own. For those who have not heard of this recent novel-turned-movie, a young woman decides to cook everything in a Julia Child cookbook....everything. The cookbook I choose will most likely have "Budget" in the title though! I am living on a volunteer stipend after all. Although, I would rather cook based on references from family and friends instead. I've always preferred personal experience to cookbooks anyhow!
So to all you cooks out there, if you have any dishes/recipes of which you are especially proud, I would love to share in your joy of cooking!
No comments:
Post a Comment