Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's a Jungle out there.


Every Wednesday morning, I volunteer with the Preschool Class at the local children's science museum in Worcester (EcoTarium).  This free program (awesome, right?) is available from 10:30-11:30am every Wed. and is divided into two sessions: story time and craft/snack time.  I work in the craft session with the kids and their parents.  My favorite part of my volunteer work during the Preschool Class is observing kids -they are hilarious! 
For example, one of the kids today was climbing on his mom like she was a Jungle Gym*!  He dove in her lap, squeezed through her arms, rolled off her side and clinged to her back.  He would be a nimble spy, that's for sure! Meanwhile, the mom was attempting to have a conversation with another adult.  I admired her persistence.  Another boy, who was much younger (maybe 1 year old), would roll over on the floor every 2 minutes so that by 15 minutes, he was nearly off the rug that was in the center of the room!  Haha...he was quite content to keep rolling, but his mother reeled him into her arms.

*I wondered where the term "Jungle Gym" came from... turns out it was a brand name during the 1920s!  I had no idea "monkey bars" and climbing structures are such a new concept (relatively).  I guess the idea of recess came with the restructuring of public education in America.  Thank you Sebastion Hinton!

The picture is of a wicked cool Jungle Gym in Black Rock City, Nevada.

No comments:

Post a Comment