Thursday, December 3, 2009

Life Update


This year, I spent Thanksgiving break in Quakertown, PA with my friend Lucas and his family. We had a great time - feasting, crossword puzzling, playing Yatzee, running (I ran 8 miles for the first time in my life!) and walking around quaint towns enjoying the brisk November weather.  I also received an early Christmas present from Lucas, a Christian Prayer book containing the traditional "Liturgy of the Hours".  Catholic religious orders use this structure to pray together morning, afternoon, evening, and night.  It's unifying to think that religious orders all over the world (including the Order I work for right here in Worcester) are using the same material to pray.  It's pretty cool be to Catholic...

In other news, I taught my last ESL class of the semester today.  I have awesome students by the way.  They all have a great sense of humor and are proficient in charades.  Well today, I had a very loose lesson plan schedule, but looking back on the day I think that's how God intended. 
This morning, I went outside to tend the garden and felt as if I had walked out into a Texas Winter - it was 62 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze!  This is no day to be stuck in a classroom, I thought.  So, I decided I would take my class on a field trip to the nearest park.  Coincidentally, I had a gift certificate for the pizza parlor (shout out to Uncle Sam's Pizza!)  across the street from the park.  After about 40 minutes of teaching, we walked to the park, picked up pizzas and had a picnic!  What a great day.

Today was also the last day of St. Peter's Mentoring program for the semester.  I'm definitely going to miss the kiddos and hanging out with the college students.  We celebrated Christmas with Winter Bingo and candy for all.  There was almost a stampede when the kids found out they were getting candy... and I was the only thing in their way!  After I snatched the bag of candy and held it high above their heads, they agreed to form a line and I managed to come away unscathed. 

My next big task is to plan a craft/activity for our "Girls with Dreams" group.  It's times like these I wish I was more artsy! 

**photo is from theophilus monk

No comments:

Post a Comment