The theme for my second week of Advent was inner reflection.
Last week's activities:
Monday: Led a "Blind Taste Testing" experiement for our teen-girl group. We tasted 3 different brands of peanut butter, toaster pastries (Poptarts), and sports drinks. The winners were Peter Pan peanut butter, BigY Poptarts, and Gatorade!
Tuesday: Went for a 6 mile run with a Cross Country coach I know from church. She mentioned that she used to run with a friend of hers, but hasn't run much since. When I told her about my interest in training for a half-marathon, she offered go running with me sometime and suggest some training loops around town. On Tuesday, her husband drove us out about 6 miles, dropped us off, and we ran home to a hot dinner made by her husband (how cute is that?). Not only was dinner great, but they also have two little girls and a dog I had the blessing of getting to play with. At one point, I was reading to the girls and petting the dog simultaneously ... on some level, I felt like a sister/babysitter/parent. What an unexpected joy.
We are running again this Tuesday, so stay tuned!
Wednesday: Boy did it snow - over 7 inches, in fact! I made a sizable snow man for the first time in my life AND shoveled the backporch/driveway - 2 quintessential New England experiences, check.
While crying through the last 2 chapters, I finished Marley and Me. Reading about that loyal, humorous, yet obstinately mischievious dog made me wish for one of my own. Maybe someday...
Thursday: Went to St. Peter's Choir practice and then Adoration at Assumption Chapel. Choir practice was awesome - my heart melted at the sound of voices in harmony. To me, there is something heavenly about it...as if God's essence is harmony, 3 voices in One.
Friday: Worked in the Kindergarten class for the ENTIRE school-day, instructing centers and feverishly wrapping presents. That day, the kids purchased gifts for family members at the school-sponsored "Holiday Shop" which offered small gifts ranging from 50 cents to $3. All of these kids come from poor families, so the Shop gave families a way to buy presents at a lower cost.
Later that night, I went to La Salette with one of my friends from the Assumptionist community. This Shrine has an amazing Christmas display with thousands of lights every year and often sponsors choir concerts - we were there to see the Daughters of St. Paul concert, which was pretty cool. After visiting the Shrine, we went to an Ice Cream Shop/Diner that I spotted on the way there. I had the Belgian Waffle Sundae - AMAZING.
Saturday: The day was dedicated to prayer. Sister Catherine came over and we made 4 loaves of wheat bread! During the "dough-rising" periods, we prayed the rosary, reflected on Advent, and walked to a nearby Cafe. It was very theraputic! That evening, the Sisters invited us over for dinner and Lectio (divine reading). We studied Sunday's readings and discussed its significance. I love the verse from Phillipians, "...make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpases all understanding will guard your hearts and minds"
What an amazing week!
Photo courtesy of http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/1459615.html

Maddie - I just LOVE reading your blog! I simply cannot tell you how proud I am to have had you as a student at the CCC, and now to call you a friend. Your journey in MA seems so fitting to you this year. I will continue to pray for you and look forward to your updates. Hey - what is the song that is playing on your blog right now?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debbie!!! I love seeing your encouraging comments. You played a vital role in my decision to volunteer here, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart. This opportunity has changed my life already. I can hardly imagine what will happen in the next 6 months.
ReplyDeleteThank you also for your prayers - I miss you all so terribly much! As I checked out some of the Posada Party pictures on Facebook I felt a twinge of heartache, but at the same time I know that my place is here now. I will always cherish our crazy CCC times, though.
The first song is "Cry in My Heart" by new favorite band Starfield. (if you scroll down all to the very bottom of the blog, you can check out my Blog Music Player)