December 15, 2009
I went to a meeting with Frances, the CEO of the Family Health Center in Worcester, MA. We first met at my church - Sr. Mary Ann (my boss) introduced me to her. First of all, I was slightly surprised that a CEO of a major health center is a parishioner of St. Peter's church. The parish resides in an impoverished part of town known as Main South and is thus one of the poorer parishes in Worcester. Not to mention, there are over 40 Catholic churches from which to choose in an 8 mile radius of St. Peter's. After talking with Frances, the CEO, for a few minutes I realized why she goes to St. P - she is an incredibly humble advocate for the poor and truly loves the people in Main South. Her passion is inspiring!
As Frances walked me through the center (this is the only place you will find the CEO giving tours to lowly volunteers), I was struck by the concept of a "community health center". The intent of the center is to provide medical care that treats the physical ailments of patients as well as the root causes of their health problems, such as poor drinking water, malnutrition, the lack of health education, and/or the lack of adequate housing. This Worcester center in particular offers a "Read with Me" program, wherein every child that sees a doctor here receives a book (in their language) and is encouraged to read with their parents. Not only that, but as the children are waiting for the doctor, volunteers read with/to the children in the lobby. How cool is that?
These health centers are non-profit companies wherein at least 51% of the board members are required to be patients of that particular center. Patients have a voice! What a concept...
I hope to be working there in a few weeks with the Administration department. Frances mentioned fund-raising and I immediately thought of a 5K/1mi Fun Run. She gave me the green light, so I hope I'm ready.
No comments:
Post a Comment