Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Gift of a Cookie


I am a firm believer that children can teach adults powerful life lessons.  During Preschool Time at EcoTarium, the snack area is usually overflowing with puffy animal crackers, but today chocolate chip cookies were on the menu.  As I watched the children react at the sight of this coveted new snack, I laughed to see their faces light up with joy.  I remember when a cookie used to make me that happy; although, I sometimes surprise myself at my excitement towards chocolate (You know what I mean, Debbie)!   As I was looking through the crowd of children and parents, I noticed one of the kiddos looking around and seeing that his friend didn't have cookie yet.  After a few seconds of thinking, he bounced off the floor, walked up to his mother (who was standing near the "Snack Area") and exclaimed, "David doesn't have a cookie - he needs one!".  After David was given a cookie, this generous little boy made sure that everyone around him had a cookie.  It was amazing to see such love from a child.

If only we as adults would learn to be as generous with our blessings as that little boy, the world would be a better place.  Of course, his generosity originated by first recognizing his gifts - mainly, the satisfaction of eating a cookie at 11am.  Once he realized this was a blessing in his own life, he was then able to be aware of children without cookies and offer them a cookie so to share in his gifts.

Today's Mission:  List the blessings in your life and share at least one blessing with someone who lacks that same gift you cherish.

Some of my blessings: time, a loving family, caring friends, food, shelter, clothing, ears with which to listen, eyes with which to see, legs for walking, a mouth for talking, arms to embrace, a knack for cooking and organizing, a car and the ability to drive ...  I'll let you know what I share!

photo provided by: http://www.old-picture.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment