December 17, 2009
I've been going to St. Peter's choir practice for the past few Thursdays (including this one). There are only 6 members, but we have a great time singing and harmonizing our voices. The organist even brings hot cocoa and cookies to share with the group! We are quite a group of characters - Kelly, a mother of 10 children (5 of whom are still home) is so vibrant and full of joy; Jenn is from Kenya and is attending grad school at Assumption College when she is not working in Boston (an hour drive); another woman works as a nurse in the ER and still manages to find the energy to sing with us after 12-14 hour shifts at work. What a crew! After every practice, I leave with a reinforced appreciation for the endurance of the human spirit.
If I have enough time after choir, I drive to the Assumption Chapel for adoration and the weekly recitation of the Divine Mercy Chaplet. What I love about adoration at Assumption is the atmosphere - the chapel is completely dark, save for several candles lit around the altar with one sole light shining down from above on Christ. The Monstrance glimmers and reflects the beauty and radiance of the Eucharist within. Just being present in the Chapel is incredibly powerful. Here is some background on the Chaplet: http://thedivinemercy.org/message/devotions/chaplet.php and the chaplet in song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eym833fy8Uc. Again, the harmony is glorious (minute 6 and 7 are particularly poignant)

No comments:
Post a Comment