Wednesday, January 20, 2010

massive month update!



Speaking of blessings, my mom was able to visit me up here in Worcester for Christmas!  I  took her to all of the places where I work - EcoTarium, Columbus Park Elementary, St. Vincent de Paul Clothing store, and of course St. Peter's.  As she participated in some of the work I do on a daily basis, she said that she reinforced her appreciation for what I do and why I volunteer full-time.  It was fun getting to watch her interact with my community here in Worcester...for once, I wasn't the only "new girl" from Texas in the room!  After a brief period in Worcester, we drove to the snow covered beaches of Cape Cod to stay with my Tante Arlette and her family for Christmas.  Everything was covered in snow when we arrived - the Cape had received nearly 20 inches of snow before we came!  That's an uncanny amount for the Cape.  The local beach and lighthouse looked so beautiful covered in snow...odd, but serene.  My fondest memories from the Cape included entertaining my little cousins (Anne and Peter, 4 year old twins), savoring delicious meals with my extended family, and seeing the children open their Christmas presents from "Santa".  Oh to have that magical excitement of Christmas morning again... 


Lucas decided to visit Worcester too!  St. Peter (after whom my church is named) must have known Lucas was coming and wanted to make a good first impression...  As Monsignor Scollen was consecrating the host, a bat flew out from the rafters and began to fly in circles around the ceiling!  After flying around the ceiling a few times, he migrated down and made a few loops near the altar, the priest, and deacon.  He almost flew right into the priest!  Like I said, St. Peter wanted to give Lucas an accurate impression.  After all, our parish is a little batty at times!


After a quick visit in Worcester, Lucas and I drove to his hometown in PA to visit his family.  I love Pennsylvania - rolling hills and forests, independent farms, towns rich with early American history, and lest we forget the Soft Pretzles!  PA has quickly become one of my favorite states (second to Texas, of course).  During my January visit, I ice-skated OUTSIDE for the first time in my life, played bridge with Lucas' parents, learned about an early American faith community known as the Moravians, and toured historic Bethlehem, PA with Lucas' mom.  I was sad to leave, but excited to return to my community here in Worcester.  After a long vacation, there is nothing more comforting than attending Mass in your home parish.
Home sweet home.


Next week, all the regular activities begin again!  This year, I am teaching the ESL Intermediate II class and volunteering in the St. Peter's Mentoring program as usual.

picture provided by: wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment