Monday, August 23, 2010

A new beginning...again


Let's face it, transitions are rough and always on our doorstep.  Actually, life is a steady stream of transitions.  A
t some point, we either learn how to cope with change or we waste our energy desperately trying to paddle upstream.  So I've decided to embrace the unknown path before me with God as my trusty navigator and the Holy Spirit as the current that will carry me when I have no idea where we are going.

My "adjustment" plan begins with integration into local communities - neighborhood, church, UTSA. 

I. The neighbors:In order to start building friendships here, I  thought I would meet the neighbors first.  So, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and went knocking on doors!  My first stop was the house diagonal to ours (to the r ight).  A timid young girl slowly opened the door and said, "Hello?"  I introduced myself and then the mother arrived at the door and welcomed me into their house to chat.  Deb and Daniel have 4 children (Steven, Torri, Danny, and Nicki...in that order).  Daniel is currently deployed to a Naval base in Germany while Deb looks after the kiddos and manages the household.  I truly admire military families.  


Then, the house directly across from us.  This family was incredibly welcoming!  After I rang the door bell, Shirley (the grandmother) opened the door with a big smile on her face saying, "Hi! Come on in!"  before I could even fully introduce myself.  This woman had no idea who I was (only that I was a neighbor) and still she welcomed me into her home with open arms.  That level of trust is dwindling in our world today.  Although I was carrying a plate of chocolate chip cookies... maybe that's the secret!


Today, I hope to bake one more batch of cookies and meet the two remaining neighbors.  I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment