So I made more cookies and knocked on more doors! The first family I visited (well, I only met the daughter) recently moved to San Antonio from a little town in east California. The daughter attends UTSA full-time and is working towards a Bachelors of Arts in sociology with the desire to become a social worker in high schools. She said people discourage her because social worker salaries are low. Isn't that unfortunate? Where would our society be if everyone discouraged future firefighters, police officers, teachers, and social workers from pursuing their passion and source of fulfillment?
The other neighbor introduced herself as Magdalena, the grandmother of the house. She is living with her son, his wife, and their son. When I told her my name, she said, "Oh! We are tocallo! That is the Spanish word for two people who share the same name." I was astonished that there was actually a word for that. I love foreign languages! While I didn't get the chance to meet the rest of her family, I am excited to learn more about my partner in "tocallo".
No comments:
Post a Comment