Class List:
Cancer Biology I
Cancer Biochemistry Seminar
Molecular Biology Seminar
DNA Lab Techniques
plus a Lab Internship working with cancer research
Essentially, my life will soon be inundated with all sorts of cancer biology knowledge! I have been dreaming about this opportunity for years and now my dream is finally being fulfilled, but rather unexpectedly. See, in the beginning of the year, my plan was to enter the University of Texas Health Science Center (a medical school) as a Master's student, take oodles of cancer courses and learn how research is being actively translated into clinical treatments. After interviewing with a researcher at the university, I was informed that their master's program only accepted 3 to 5 students (about 5% of the applicant pool). Statistically speaking, my chances of getting accepted were very low, so I begrudgingly applied to the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). I didn't think UTSA had much cancer research nor offered cancer courses, so I was pretty bummed to say the least when I did not get into the Health Science Center. Nevertheless, I was optimistic that God was leading the way.
Now that I am studying at UTSA, I can see that God was directing me toward my goals (and hopefully His) all along. Not only am I taking two cancer courses, but I am also working in a laboratory that researches cancer, specifically TGFb1 signaling in human osteosarcoma cells (how cool is that?!). UTSA also offers a traditional campus life that the medical school doesn't offer - a Recreation Center, hundreds of student organizations, and a beautiful campus! There is a definite sense of community here - in my lab, between the bio Master's students, and throughout the university. Turns out, this university is exactly what I was looking for...without knowing it.
picture above is osteosarcoma cell from micro.magnet.fsu.edu

No comments:
Post a Comment